What can you do to protect the community water supply?
- Never dump used motor oil, gas, household chemicals, or pesticides on the ground.
- If you have a septic system, have it checked every other year to ensure it is working properly.
- Properly abandon any unused wells on your property. They are a hazard to groundwater quality and a liability to you.
- Follow instructions for the use of fertilizer and pesticides. Over application of these products can be harmful to the environment.
- If you have a private well, test your water annually.
- To report water pollution, including illegal dumping of chemicals, please call Oakland County's 24-Hour Pollution Hotline: 248-0858-0931.