Water Bulk Use
In order to protect your drinking water, reduce water quality complaints, and ensure use for fire protection, only Fire, Police, and local Department of Public Works personnel are allowed use of the Township fire hydrants. Hydrants that are used illegally may be damaged or may freeze, causing the fire hydrant to be inoperable during an emergency. The water theft and the cost of the fire hydrant repairs will be charged to the water system, thus potentially increasing water rates to all customers.
If there is a special need to connect to a fire hydrant, you need complete and submit a Bulk Water Use Permit.
Flat fee - $1,000 for 60 days
$500 to extend an additional 30 days*
*Failure to notify Township Fire Department at termination of 60 days will incur additional fees of $500 for additional 30 days.
Bulk Water can only be used between April 1st and November 1st
BULK WATER USE REGULATIONS
- If the Township official or representing agent of the Township finds water use exceeds the above referenced estimates, additional fees may be imposed.
- At the end of each working day, any water gate well used shall be resealed for safety purposes.
- Each project will be limited to a single tap.
- The Project Applicant/Supervisor is responsible for site safety and clean-up of the area used for bulk water access.
- The preventer MUST be installed by the Township’s fire department and the fire department MUST be notified when water use is completed.
- Any damage or costs incurred to repair the water main, its appurtenances, or surrounding property shall be borne by the applicant.
- Any hardship to area residents directly resulting from bulk water use may result in termination of this permit.
- Hours of use may be limited during peak water use season.
- Lyon Township or its officials reserve the right to terminate this contract at any time. No person shall hinder, obstruct or interfere with such employee in the lawful discharge of their duties in relation to the care and maintenance of the public water main.
- Dereliction of any of the above may result in the termination of this permit.